Quantcast

tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Fávero Santos
Hello!

I was updating my fet430uif when I accidentally disconnected my device.
Before it happened, it was working like a charm - no problems whatsoever, I
could flash and debug nicely. Now even the leds initialization sequence
doesn't work. I've tried to update the fet's firmware, but, sadly, no luck.

I tried investigating what happened to my fet and called some update
functions:
a) mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0 :
tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader
active (error = 56)"

b) mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0 --require-fw-update Uifv3Downgrader.txt:
Updating firmware using Uifv3Downgrader.txt
Starting firmware update (this may take some time)...
Initializing bootloader...
Initializing bootloader...
Initializing bootloader...
tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader
active (error = 56)
tilib: device initialization failed

c) mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/ttyACM0 "prog Uifv3Updater.txt"
Trying to open /dev/ttyACM0 at 460800 bps...
comport: read error: Connection timed out
bsl: failed to enter bootloader
bsl: warning: FET firmware not responding
comport: read error: Connection timed out
bsl: failed to receive reply
comport: read error: Connection timed out
bsl: failed to receive reply
bsl: sync failed
bsl: failed on command 0x38 (addr = 0x0ff0, len = 0x0010)
bsl: failed to read chip info

So, yeah, everything points that the msp430f1612 in my fet is erased.  My
question is: how to revive my fet if I don't have a firmware image?

Some points:
1) It was a V3 firmware in the good old days.
2) Already tried using elprotronic flasher to update my fw but with no
results.

That's it guys, hope you can give some hints on what to do. Thank you for
your time and effort reading my problem. Sorry for the lazy english.

Regards

FS

*"If it doesn't starts with you, it dies with you." *
Julian Casablancas

Re: tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Mitnacht, Thomas
Hello Fávero,
Try to follow the procedure described in the update and downgrade section.

Thanks,
Thomas Mitnacht

Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH, Haggertystr. 1, D-85356 Freising. Amtsgericht München HRB 40960. Geschäftsführer: Dr. Wolfram Tietscher. Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Andreas Schwaiger

Re: tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Fávero Santos
Thanks for the replies! I'll try that and I'll get back to you.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Mitnacht, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Fávero,
> Try to follow the procedure described in the update and downgrade section.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas Mitnacht
>

> Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH, Haggertystr. 1, D-85356 Freising.
> Amtsgericht München HRB 40960. Geschäftsführer: Dr. Wolfram Tietscher.
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Andreas Schwaiger

Hi!

Just checked the up/downgrade steps but I don't have a firmware image do
flash in my device and my device doesn't have a firmware to export as a
backup...

Anyone knows where I could get a fw v2 or v3 image?

Thx

FS

*"If it doesn't starts with you, it dies with you." *
Julian Casablancas

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Fávero Santos <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the replies! I'll try that and I'll get back to you.
>
> FS
>

> *"If it doesn't starts with you, it dies with you." *
> Julian Casablancas
>

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Mitnacht, Thomas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Fávero,
>> Try to follow the procedure described in the update and downgrade section.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thomas Mitnacht
>>

>> Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH, Haggertystr. 1, D-85356 Freising.
>> Amtsgericht München HRB 40960. Geschäftsführer: Dr. Wolfram Tietscher.
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Andreas Schwaiger

Sorry forgot to copy the link
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP_Debug_Stack

Thanks,
Thomas Mitnacht

Re: tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Fávero Santos
Hi!

First of all, thank you so much to those who kindly emailed me and to all
those who gave me suggestions or helped me.

Here some news:

1) I could not compile V3 firmware from source (as Thomas Mitnacht)
suggested me. When building the Bios projects, several errors were issued
by IAR EWMSP (I was on my Windows). I could manage to solve some, but could
not solve some others (even searching on internet could not help me).

2) Kees Schoenmakers kindly sent me v3firm images (thank you so much!) but
yet I couldn't manage to flash it on my bsl - the problem now is that my
FET430 is found as a ttyACM device, instead of ttyUSB device. I stubbornly
pressed enter on a "mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/*ttyACM0* "prog v3firm.hex"
cmd. Mspdebug issued several errors. :(.

3) Last night I went to a friend's lab and managed to get a copy of a
v2firm. So, what I did was:
mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/tty*ACM*0 "prog v2img.hex". And guess what? Nope.
Didn't work.

4) As uif-bsl option must be used with ttyUSB device, I tried downgrading
my fet's driver to a VCP driver (V2). I've searched internet and also
MSPDebug Stack page and found a linux driver. When I tried to build it, the
makefile issued me an error saying that my kernel version is newer than
 driver's. I tried to find the VCP driver for linux kernel 3 but I
couldn't. My idea has overwriting CDC driver (installed on my Linux) to a
VCP driver. With this, luckily I could make a mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/tty
*USB*0 "prog v2img.hex" and restore my FET.

So, a digest on my situation:

1) I have a FW v2 img available;
2) I have a FW v3 img available;
3) My fet's driver is see by linux as a CDC (V3) firmware;

Regards, dudes.

Fávero

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Mitnacht, Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Sorry forgot to copy the link
>
> http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/MSP_Debug_Stack
>

> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mitnacht

Daniel Beer-3
On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 11:58:30AM -0300, Fávero Santos wrote:

> First of all, thank you so much to those who kindly emailed me and to all
> those who gave me suggestions or helped me.
>
> Here some news:
>
> 1) I could not compile V3 firmware from source (as Thomas Mitnacht)
> suggested me. When building the Bios projects, several errors were issued
> by IAR EWMSP (I was on my Windows). I could manage to solve some, but could
> not solve some others (even searching on internet could not help me).
>
> 2) Kees Schoenmakers kindly sent me v3firm images (thank you so much!) but
> yet I couldn't manage to flash it on my bsl - the problem now is that my
> FET430 is found as a ttyACM device, instead of ttyUSB device. I stubbornly
> pressed enter on a "mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/*ttyACM0* "prog v3firm.hex"
> cmd. Mspdebug issued several errors. :(.
>
> 3) Last night I went to a friend's lab and managed to get a copy of a
> v2firm. So, what I did was:
> mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/tty*ACM*0 "prog v2img.hex". And guess what? Nope.
> Didn't work.
>
> 4) As uif-bsl option must be used with ttyUSB device, I tried downgrading
> my fet's driver to a VCP driver (V2). I've searched internet and also
> MSPDebug Stack page and found a linux driver. When I tried to build it, the
> makefile issued me an error saying that my kernel version is newer than
>  driver's. I tried to find the VCP driver for linux kernel 3 but I
> couldn't. My idea has overwriting CDC driver (installed on my Linux) to a
> VCP driver. With this, luckily I could make a mspdebug uif-bsl -d /dev/tty
> *USB*0 "prog v2img.hex" and restore my FET.

Hi Favero,

The "uif-bsl" driver is strictly for the v2 bootloader only, and the VCP
driver shouldn't necessary for any reason. Any recent Linux kernel will
have support for both kinds of USB interface.

I haven't actually encountered a situation where the v3 bootloader is
running without firmware, but does anything useful happen if you run
mspdebug with:

    mspdebug tilib --allow-fw-update

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Chris Liechti
Am 02.07.2014 16:58, schrieb Fávero Santos:> 3) Last night I went to a
friend's lab and managed to get a copy of a
 > v2firm.

i suggest you use your friends JTAG interface to flash yours.

if you open the MSP-FET430UIF, you'll find a connector with one row of 5
pins. this is the JTAG interface of the MSP430 in there and it is
compatible with the 14 pin cable, just plug it in on the correct edge
(connect pin 1 on 14 pin header).

the USB interface must be plugged in to provide power but then you
should be able to write the firmware with your friends JTAG box to your
MSP-FET430UIF, just like you'd program any firmware on a board.

unfortunately does the layout of the MSP-FET430UIF NOT connect the
ROM-BSL of the contained MSP430 (at least not on previous versions of
the board, the pins to start the BSL are not connected correctly), so if
the firmware is broken, there is no other way than using an other JTAG
interface to recover.

chris

Re: tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Fávero Santos
Hello!

I just did the flashing process on my bricked fet. The only change is that
it initializes normally now.  When I try to access tilib with it, the board
requires a fw update. When I insert the cmd, mspdebug tilib
--allow-fw-update, I get stuck when it's trying to initialize the
bootloader. Here the message:

mspdebug tilib --allow-fw-update
MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

MSP430_GetNumberOfUsbIfs
MSP430_GetNameOfUsbIf
Found FET: /dev/serial/by-id/../../ttyACM0
MSP430_Initialize: /dev/serial/by-id/../../ttyACM0
FET firmware update is required.
Starting firmware update (this may take some time)...
Initializing bootloader...
Initializing bootloader...
Initializing bootloader...
tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader
active (error = 56)
tilib: device initialization failed

As I said before, the bricked fet do its led initialization (3 red blinks,
1 red blink sustained and then green sustained).

Weird... Is it possible that the boostrap loader cannot find my firmware?
Ps. In linux, driver is ACM0 and firmware version is 3.

Thanks!

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Chris Liechti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 02.07.2014 16:58, schrieb Fávero Santos:> 3) Last night I went to a
> friend's lab and managed to get a copy of a
>  > v2firm.
>
> i suggest you use your friends JTAG interface to flash yours.
>
> if you open the MSP-FET430UIF, you'll find a connector with one row of 5
> pins. this is the JTAG interface of the MSP430 in there and it is
> compatible with the 14 pin cable, just plug it in on the correct edge
> (connect pin 1 on 14 pin header).
>
> the USB interface must be plugged in to provide power but then you
> should be able to write the firmware with your friends JTAG box to your
> MSP-FET430UIF, just like you'd program any firmware on a board.
>
> unfortunately does the layout of the MSP-FET430UIF NOT connect the
> ROM-BSL of the contained MSP430 (at least not on previous versions of
> the board, the pins to start the BSL are not connected correctly), so if
> the firmware is broken, there is no other way than using an other JTAG
> interface to recover.
>
> chris

Re: tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: MSP-FET430UIF Firmware erased - Bootloader active (error = 56)

Peter Bigot-4
Run the firmware update as root.

Peter