(no subject)

Ram Kumar-8
Hi,
   I am new to the MSP430 family and I had a few questions regarding its
architecture. I am using the MSP430F1611 chip with 48 KB Flash and 10 KB
RAM.

1. Is it possible to have a "safe" bootloader that cannot be accidentally
over-written by the application code? The AVR architecture for instance has
a bootloader section whose contents can be protected using fuse bits.

2. Can the non-maskable interrupt (NMI) handler be located in the ROM?

3. Is it possible to use the DMA and the I2C bus within the NMI context?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ram

Re: (no subject)

Rolf Freitag

Hi,

> 1. Is it possible to have a "safe" bootloader that cannot be accidentally
> over-written by the application code? The AVR architecture for instance has
> a bootloader section whose contents can be protected using fuse bits.

the MSPs do have a BLS (bootstrap loader).

> 2. Can the non-maskable interrupt (NMI) handler be located in the ROM?

Yes.

> 3. Is it possible to use the DMA and the I2C bus within the NMI context?

It should be no problem (but ugly) with nested interrupts.

Regards,

Rolf

RE: (no subject)

Ram Kumar-8
Hi Rolf,

        Thanks for your answers. Just a couple of more follow up questions.
1. Can the BLS be user-programmed or is it default factory programmed?
2. Can any interrupt handler (DMA, I2C etc) be located in the ROM?

Thanks,
-Ram

> 1. Is it possible to have a "safe" bootloader that cannot be accidentally
> over-written by the application code? The AVR architecture for instance
has
> a bootloader section whose contents can be protected using fuse bits.

the MSPs do have a BLS (bootstrap loader).

> 2. Can the non-maskable interrupt (NMI) handler be located in the ROM?

Yes.

> 3. Is it possible to use the DMA and the I2C bus within the NMI context?

It should be no problem (but ugly) with nested interrupts.

Regards,

Rolf

RE: (no subject)

Rolf Freitag

>         Thanks for your answers. Just a couple of more follow up questions.
> 1. Can the BLS be user-programmed or is it default factory programmed?

the BSL is hardwired but can be extended with code in RAM. That's the
"BSL update", which is an extension/patch.

> 2. Can any interrupt handler (DMA, I2C etc) be located in the ROM?

The not ancient versions do have only RAM or Flash you can use. Because of the
Von-Neumann-Architecture and linear addressing (and address space = I/O space)
it doesn't matter where the code is. But the RAM gets cleared at power up reset.

Regards,

Rolf