no .infomem for msp430f449 ???

Kees Schoenmakers
Hello all,

Our project makes extensive use of infomem and even more 'infomem'
pages taken from the code space.

The first botch is that the linker script does not specify .infomem at all

kees@SEPC002:~/projekten/Collector/clucitf/Hart$ make
/opt/ti/gcc/bin/msp430-elf-gcc -o mymy.elf -g -I /opt/ti/gcc/include
-std=gnu99 -mmcu=msp430f449 -fms-extensions  Dataalloc.o Main.o
Timers.o Subroutines.o Eerom.o Modbusmaster.o Hartserial.o
Hartprocess.o Display.o Displayapp.o Hartunivers.o Hartcompractice.o
Harttransmitspec.o Hartmain.o Harttimers.o Sensors.o Modbusserial.o
Hartconversion.o Hartplatformdep.o  -L/opt/ti/gcc/include -Wl,--cref
/opt/ti/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/msp430-elf/4.9.1/../../../../msp430-elf/bin/ld:
mymy.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `ROM'
/opt/ti/gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/msp430-elf/4.9.1/../../../../msp430-elf/bin/ld:
error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.infomem'

My question is:
is it possible to use a 'local' copy of the link script, modify it and
reference it in the Makefile?
And how should this local copy be referenced correctly to override the
system default?

best regrads
Kees

Re: no .infomem for msp430f449 ???

nick clifton
Hi Kees,

> is it possible to use a 'local' copy of the link script, modify it and
> reference it in the Makefile?

Yes.

> And how should this local copy be referenced correctly to override the
> system default?

Use the -T command line option.  Eg:

   gcc -T myscript.t foo.c

You should be able to find out which linker script is being used by
default by adding "-v" to the gcc command line.  Linker scripts for the
MSP430 are MCU specific, so you must make sure that the command line
also includes the correct -mmcu= command line option as well.

Cheers
   Nick