Quantcast

mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

Kim T.
I'm attempting to use mspgcc on an OS X (Snow Leopard) system.  I have a
MSP-FET430UIF USB based programmer for the target board.

I was able to compile and install all of the mspgcc tools, and compile and
link a program that I earlier had working on an IAR Workbench (Windows 7)
system.

The Windows 7 machine is able to interact with the MSP-FET430UIF without
trouble, and I was able to download/debug from IAR Workbench.  This Windows
7 machine is running in a VMware Fusion 3.1 virtual machine on the OS X
(Snow Leopard) system.

Back on OS X (Snow Leopard) mspdebug seems to be suggesting that I need some
sort of serial port.  When I plug in the MSP-FET430UIF, I get the following
on the USB bus:

       MSP-FET430UIF JTAG Tool:

>           Product ID: 0xf430
>           Vendor ID: 0x0451  (Texas Instruments)
>           Version:  1.01
>           Serial Number: TUSB3410332587F2415DFF7D
>           Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
>           Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
>           Location ID: 0x04100000
>           Current Available (mA): 500
>           Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

but never see a serial port added.

I tried also on a Debian system (virtual machine also).   Again, there was
no serial port created for the MSP-FET430UIF.  I had installed libusb-1.0
and libusb-compat before compiling mspdebug.

As far as my IAR Workbench question goes, I've created a load module on the
OS X system; I can turn it from ELF into hex, but is there a way to 1)
transform it into the format that IAR Workbench needs, and 2) use some sort
of IAR workbench tool to load it?  I transferred it over, but can't figure
out how to open it with IAR Workbench to upload it.

Re: mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

Mark J. Blair

On Sep 3, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Kim Toms wrote:
> I'm attempting to use mspgcc on an OS X (Snow Leopard) system.  I have a
> MSP-FET430UIF USB based programmer for the target board.
[...]
> Back on OS X (Snow Leopard) mspdebug seems to be suggesting that I need some
> sort of serial port.

I went through getting mspdebug working on my Snow Leopard system just last night. Mspdebug talks directly to the eZ430-RF2500 (but still may need a "codeless" kernel extension to keep the kernel from trying to use the device for its own purposes), but a serial port driver is needed for the MSP-FET430UIF and the eZ430-MSP430F2013 dongle. I found links to both the pre-compiled driver and its source code here:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/digital_interface/f/130/t/55982.aspx

I downloaded both, but the pre-compiled binaries worked for me. The binaries are here:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/interface/digital_interface/m/videos__files/198722.aspx

You'll need to copy the .kext file in the binary package into /System/Library/Extensions, then change its ownership and permissions like this:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext
sudo chmod 755 /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext

You'll also need to modify the Info.plist file in the .kext package so that the MSP-FET430UIF will be recognized (it's probably easier to do this before copying it into the Extensions folder and changing its ownership and permissions. The documentation at the above link suggests that the change needs to be made in the source code, but it can be done on the pre-compiled kernel extension. Open up that Info.plist file in the Property List Editor (double-clicking the .plist file should do that), find the IOKitPersonalities section, copy one of the existing entries with "3410" in their name under there, then change the copy as follows:

* Rename the entry to something like "MSP-FET430UIF"

* Optionally, change IOTTYBase Name to something like "MSP-FET430UIF"

* Change bcdDevice to 257

* Change idProduct to 62512

After doing all of this stuff, you can load the kernel extension like this:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext

If all goes well, then when you plug in the UIF, a pair of device nodes for it should show up under /dev, looking something like these:

/dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF640 /dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF640

A dialog box may also pop up asking you to configure a new network interface. You can cancel it each time, or you can go into Preferences and deactivate the device entry that got created for the UIF.

Depending on how comfortable you already are editing plist files and installing kernel extensions under OS X, I may or may not have left out important details... so feel free to ask more questions if what I wrote above doesn't get you all the way there. I also typed most of this from memory, so mistakes could have snuck in.

Note that I've verified that my MSP-FET430UIF is recognized by my Mac, but I haven't used it with mspdebug yet. I did successfully use mspdebug with my eZ430-MSP430F2013 dongle (which appears to use the same driver as the UIF) and my eZ430-RF2500 last night.

Good luck!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <[hidden email]>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/

Re: mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

Baruch Siach
Hi Kim,

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 01:51:45PM -0400, Kim Toms wrote:
> I'm attempting to use mspgcc on an OS X (Snow Leopard) system.  I have a
> MSP-FET430UIF USB based programmer for the target board.

[snip]

> I tried also on a Debian system (virtual machine also).   Again, there was
> no serial port created for the MSP-FET430UIF.  I had installed libusb-1.0
> and libusb-compat before compiling mspdebug.

I work with the FET430UIF and mspdebug on a Debian machine (the current
testing distribution). The only thing missing is the firmware file for the
ti_usb_3410_5052 driver. Fetch the ti_3410.fw file from
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=blob_plain;f=ti_3410.fw;hb=HEAD,
and put it in your /lib/firmware directory. Note the "firmware: requesting
..." messages in your dmesg log.

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
   - [hidden email] - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -

Re: mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

Kim T.
Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's the results.

I downloaded the binary package as described, and installed also as
described.  For some reason I couldn't get Filer to browse to the directory
containing the Info.plist file, and when I opened it with the property list
editor, I could not save the file, in spite of being root.  So, I used
trusty old vi to do the editing.

I was able to plug in an eZ430-F2013 and connect to it with mspdebug; the
default program it was running (flashes LED) instantly stopped, and when I
typed 'run' it continued (to flash).  Experience with the MSP-FET430UIF was
not so successfull.

The device node created for the eZ430-F2013 is named
/dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF620.  The device node created when the MSP-FET430UIF is
plugged in is /dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF410.  When I attempt to start mspdebug on
the MSP-FET430UIF, I get the following output:

MSPDebug version 0.10 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

Trying to open UIF on /dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF410...
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 20405003
Configured for Spy-Bi-Wire
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
fet: FET returned error code 4 (Could not find device (or device not
supported))
fet: command C_IDENT1 failed
fet: identify failed

I have not yet looked at the source to see if I can figure out the problem.

Later, it occured to me that I could try the JTAG mode.  When I did, I was
able to stop and start the system just like I was able to do with
spy-bi-wire and the eZ430-F2013.  I'm going to try loading a program (we
tried, but the module was made wrong, so it didn't work, I found that
problem after I got home).  I also have an eZ430-RF2500 which I will try
tomorrow.

The CPU I'm using returns id info that is not listed in the fet-db; should I
work on getting commit access to the repo, or send a diff to someone?  I'm
not sure of the meaning of all of the bits, so I can supply what's printed
out as part of the error message, but it looks like there are 3 parts and
what's in the other two is unknown to me (at least at this point).

On Sep 7, 2010, at 6:03 PM, Kim Toms wrote:
> The CPU I'm using returns id info that is not listed in the fet-db; should I
> work on getting commit access to the repo, or send a diff to someone?  I'm
> not sure of the meaning of all of the bits, so I can supply what's printed
> out as part of the error message, but it looks like there are 3 parts and
> what's in the other two is unknown to me (at least at this point).

It sounds like you've corrected your system configuration problem and are now talking to the hardware with mspdebug OK. At this point, I'd suggest contacting the mspdebug author directly, since you're seeing id info that's not listed in the fet-db. I recently had trouble with mspdebug incorrectly identifying the processor in my eZ430-RF2500, and the author quickly revised mspdebug to fix the problem.

In the mean time, you might be able to trick it into working for you with the --fet-force-id flag if your processor is one of the ones that msdebug supports but it's just being mis-identified.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <[hidden email]>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/
GnuPG public key available from my web page.

Re: mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

Daniel Beer-4
On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 09:03:08PM -0400, Kim Toms wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's the results.
>
> I downloaded the binary package as described, and installed also as
> described.  For some reason I couldn't get Filer to browse to the directory
> containing the Info.plist file, and when I opened it with the property list
> editor, I could not save the file, in spite of being root.  So, I used
> trusty old vi to do the editing.
>
> I was able to plug in an eZ430-F2013 and connect to it with mspdebug; the
> default program it was running (flashes LED) instantly stopped, and when I
> typed 'run' it continued (to flash).  Experience with the MSP-FET430UIF was
> not so successfull.
>
> The device node created for the eZ430-F2013 is named
> /dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF620.  The device node created when the MSP-FET430UIF is
> plugged in is /dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF410.  When I attempt to start mspdebug on
> the MSP-FET430UIF, I get the following output:
>
> MSPDebug version 0.10 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
> Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> Trying to open UIF on /dev/cu.MSP-FET430UIF410...
> Initializing FET...
> FET protocol version is 20405003
> Configured for Spy-Bi-Wire
> Set Vcc: 3000 mV
> fet: FET returned error code 4 (Could not find device (or device not
> supported))
> fet: command C_IDENT1 failed
> fet: identify failed
>
> I have not yet looked at the source to see if I can figure out the problem.
>
> Later, it occured to me that I could try the JTAG mode.  When I did, I was
> able to stop and start the system just like I was able to do with
> spy-bi-wire and the eZ430-F2013.  I'm going to try loading a program (we
> tried, but the module was made wrong, so it didn't work, I found that
> problem after I got home).  I also have an eZ430-RF2500 which I will try
> tomorrow.
>
> The CPU I'm using returns id info that is not listed in the fet-db; should I
> work on getting commit access to the repo, or send a diff to someone?  I'm
> not sure of the meaning of all of the bits, so I can supply what's printed
> out as part of the error message, but it looks like there are 3 parts and
> what's in the other two is unknown to me (at least at this point).

Hi Kim,

You can send any information you can gather to me. If you send me:

    (1) The name of the chip you're using.

    (2) The name of a similar chip configuration which works
        well-enough if you set --fet-force-id <name> (you can get a
        list with --fet-list).

    (3) The output when MSPDebug fails to identify (the lines labelled
        "msg28_data:").

...then I should hopefully be able to cook something up which will
work. Alternatively, if you have access to IAR or similar on a machine
which you can run a USB sniffer on (like sniffusb 2.0), then I can
definitely get it working using the information logged when you
connect using the debugger.

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: mspgcc questions; re: OS X; interaction with IAR Workbench

Kim T.
Here's the output of the mspdebug session:

kims-mac:msp430-test-program-1-sep-2010 kim$ mspdebug -j -d
/dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF620  uif
MSPDebug version 0.10 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

Trying to open UIF on /dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF620...
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 20405003
Configured for JTAG (2)
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
Device ID: 0x5437
fet: unknown device
msg28_data: [0x1a bytes]
    54 37 10 10 08 0a 15 ae 83 46 2d 00 16 00 f8 fe
    00 00 91 00 01 00 1a 00 00 05
fet: identify failed

and here's the response when I tell it it's a MSP430F5438A:

kims-mac:msp430-test-program-1-sep-2010 kim$ ls
/msp430-gcc-4.4.4/bin/kims-mac:msp430-test-program-1-sep-2010 kim$ mspdebug
-j -d /dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF410 --fet-force-id MSP430F5438A uif
MSPDebug version 0.10 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

Trying to open UIF on /dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF410...
uif: can't open serial device: /dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF410: Bad file
descriptor
kims-mac:msp430-test-program-1-sep-2010 kim$ mspdebug -j -d
/dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF620 --fet-force-id MSP430F5438A uif
MSPDebug version 0.10 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

Trying to open UIF on /dev/tty.MSP-FET430UIF620...
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 20405003
Configured for JTAG (2)
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
Device ID: 0x5437
Device: MSP430F5438A
Code memory starts at 0x5c00
Number of breakpoints: 8

Available commands:
    =         dis       hexout    opt       reset     step
    break     erase     isearch   prog      run       sym
    cgraph    gdb       md        read      set
    delbreak  help      mw        regs      setbreak

Available options:
    color     gdb_loop

Type "help <topic>" for more information.
Press Ctrl+D to quit.

(mspdebug)