mspg++ and c++ includes

Thomas Taranowski
mspg++ seems to be functioning, but all the standard c++ includes seen
to be missing.  For example, cstdio, cstdlib, etc.  Am I missing some
part of the install, or is this work yet to be done?

-Tom

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Peter Bigot-4
C++ is not supported by mspgcc.   Some people are using it to some degree
with some success, and may be able to provide hints about improved
compatibility, but no effort has been made to ensure it functions.

It is to be hoped this will be addressed by Red Hat's version.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Thomas Taranowski <[hidden email]>wrote:

> mspg++ seems to be functioning, but all the standard c++ includes seen
> to be missing.  For example, cstdio, cstdlib, etc.  Am I missing some
> part of the install, or is this work yet to be done?
>
> -Tom

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:45:00 -0500
Peter Bigot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> C++ is not supported by mspgcc.   Some people are using it to some
> degree with some success, and may be able to provide hints about
> improved compatibility, but no effort has been made to ensure it
> functions.

C++ as a language works really well with mspgcc. Well, C++ is big and
multi-paradigm, the part which is good for embedded works well (that
includes compile-time meta-programming and excludes run-time
cycle-burning, like virtual functions).

Well, it sucks that things like:

=========
struct Timer
{
    const static int irq_no = 10;
};

interrupt(Timer::irq_no) irq_handler()
{
}
=========

don't work, but I put up with that.

C++ stdlib is different story. I recently did a survey of MCU C++ libs
and found it funny that almost everyone (including me) had circular.hpp
or similar in their codebase. So, good-for-embedded things of STL (like,
well, template classes) are definitely a miss and people reinvent the
wheel. https://github.com/vancegroup/stlport-avr may be a good start to
get those.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Thomas Taranowski
Thanks for the comment Paul.  What are you using for your compiler
flags?  I'm having a couple issues with mine.

I'm currently using the following:
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DGCC_MSP430 -Wall -fno-exceptions
-fno-rtti -fno-enforce-eh-specs -nodefaultlibs

This works well in with -O2 specified (release build), but fails with
memset undefined when running my -O0 debug build.  Presumably the
optimized version is using the built-in library.  Also, I can't seem
to get printf back in by adding -lgcc -lc.to the linker flags, as I
think these get ignored after specifying the -nodefaultlibs argument.
I really want something to just disable the libstdc++ include.
Thomas Taranowski | 425-442-9209 | skype: thomas.taranowski | baringforge.com

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:45:00 -0500
> Peter Bigot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> C++ is not supported by mspgcc.   Some people are using it to some
>> degree with some success, and may be able to provide hints about
>> improved compatibility, but no effort has been made to ensure it
>> functions.
>
> C++ as a language works really well with mspgcc. Well, C++ is big and
> multi-paradigm, the part which is good for embedded works well (that
> includes compile-time meta-programming and excludes run-time
> cycle-burning, like virtual functions).
>
> Well, it sucks that things like:
>
> =========
> struct Timer
> {
>     const static int irq_no = 10;
> };
>
> interrupt(Timer::irq_no) irq_handler()
> {
> }
> =========
>
> don't work, but I put up with that.
>

> C++ stdlib is different story. I recently did a survey of MCU C++ libs
> and found it funny that almost everyone (including me) had circular.hpp
> or similar in their codebase. So, good-for-embedded things of STL (like,
> well, template classes) are definitely a miss and people reinvent the
> wheel. https://github.com/vancegroup/stlport-avr may be a good start to
> get those.
>

>> It is to be hoped this will be addressed by Red Hat's version.
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Thomas Taranowski
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>> > mspg++ seems to be functioning, but all the standard c++ includes
>> > seen to be missing.  For example, cstdio, cstdlib, etc.  Am I
>> > missing some part of the install, or is this work yet to be done?
>> >
>> > -Tom
>

> --
> Best regards,
>  Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Peter Johansson-9
On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> C++ as a language works really well with mspgcc.
> C++ stdlib is different story.

The vast majority of MSP430s are rather limited in capabilities and
this is borne out in even in the C library.   Outside of the
micro-controller realm, many people use C++ (effectively) for the
library support, and that is one thing you won't get for any small
micro.  If you want to venture into the world of C++ for micros, you
are going to be writing your own libraries.

At least one person on this list has put the C++ capabilities of
mspgcc to excellent use.  Perhaps he might be persuaded to share...

-p.

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

William "Chops" Westfield
On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Thomas Taranowski wrote:

> I really want something to just disable the libstdc++ include.

Energia (Arduino for MSP430) is probably the most common MSP430 C++ application, and it doesn't seem to do anything special, nor include (in it's distribution) ANY C++ libraries

It's msp430-g++ (MSPGCC 20120406 (With patches: sf3540953 sf3559978)) 4.6.3 20120301 (mspgcc LTS 20120406 unpatched)

and does:
.../hardware/tools/msp430/bin/msp430-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mmcu=msp430g2452 -DF_CPU=16000000L -MMD -DARDUINO=101 -DENERGIA=9 -I.../hardware/msp430/cores/msp430 -I.../hardware/msp430/variants/launchpad Blink.cpp -o Blink.cpp.o
    :
.../hardware/tools/msp430/bin/msp430-gcc -Os -Wl,-gc-sections,-u,main -mmcu=msp430g2452 -o Blink.cpp.elf Blink.cpp.o core.a -L/var/folders/jz/5yb8f2hr8xjcpf0059bsfz4r0000gn/T/build2826063411927392333.tmp -lm

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

David Brown-4

I suspect your choice of command line is the issue - there is a
difference between "msp430-gcc" and "msp430-g++".  I am not an expert
here - I've only played around with C++ a little - but my understanding
is that "msp430-gcc" and "msp430-g++" work the same for compiling, but
pick different default libraries when used for the link stage.  If you
want to use the standard C libraries (to get the non-inlined,
non-builtin version of memset, for example, or to get printf), then you
should link with "mps430-gcc" and not use "-nodefaultlibs".  If you need
to link to the c++ libraries - if and when they are available - use
"msp430-g++" (or include them specifically on the command line).

The only thing I am not sure about is when global constructors are
called (before main() starts).  It is possible that the file containing
main() has to be compiled with msp430-g++ to work correctly - I don't
know the details here, but I urge you to check that it is working correctly.

mvh.,

David

On 11/06/13 02:23, Thomas Taranowski wrote:

> Thanks for the comment Paul.  What are you using for your compiler
> flags?  I'm having a couple issues with mine.
>
> I'm currently using the following:
> -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DGCC_MSP430 -Wall -fno-exceptions
> -fno-rtti -fno-enforce-eh-specs -nodefaultlibs
>
> This works well in with -O2 specified (release build), but fails with
> memset undefined when running my -O0 debug build.  Presumably the
> optimized version is using the built-in library.  Also, I can't seem
> to get printf back in by adding -lgcc -lc.to the linker flags, as I
> think these get ignored after specifying the -nodefaultlibs argument.
> I really want something to just disable the libstdc++ include.
> Thomas Taranowski | 425-442-9209 | skype: thomas.taranowski | baringforge.com
>

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:45:00 -0500
>> Peter Bigot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> C++ is not supported by mspgcc.   Some people are using it to some
>>> degree with some success, and may be able to provide hints about
>>> improved compatibility, but no effort has been made to ensure it
>>> functions.
>>
>> C++ as a language works really well with mspgcc. Well, C++ is big and
>> multi-paradigm, the part which is good for embedded works well (that
>> includes compile-time meta-programming and excludes run-time
>> cycle-burning, like virtual functions).
>>
>> Well, it sucks that things like:
>>
>> =========
>> struct Timer
>> {
>>     const static int irq_no = 10;
>> };
>>
>> interrupt(Timer::irq_no) irq_handler()
>> {
>> }
>> =========
>>
>> don't work, but I put up with that.
>>

>> C++ stdlib is different story. I recently did a survey of MCU C++ libs
>> and found it funny that almost everyone (including me) had circular.hpp
>> or similar in their codebase. So, good-for-embedded things of STL (like,
>> well, template classes) are definitely a miss and people reinvent the
>> wheel. https://github.com/vancegroup/stlport-avr may be a good start to
>> get those.
>>

>>> It is to be hoped this will be addressed by Red Hat's version.

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

> Build for Windows Store.
>
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:23:00 -0700
Thomas Taranowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the comment Paul.  What are you using for your compiler
> flags?  I'm having a couple issues with mine.
>
> I'm currently using the following:
> -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DGCC_MSP430 -Wall -fno-exceptions
> -fno-rtti -fno-enforce-eh-specs -nodefaultlibs

Well, I'm using:

msp430-g++ -I../include/   -mmcu=msp430g2553 -O1 -g -Wreturn-type -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DHW_CONFIG=\"hw_config_msp430.hpp\" -fno-exceptions -c blink.cpp -o bin-msp430/blink.o
msp430-gcc -mmcu=msp430g2553 -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-Map=bin-msp430/blink.map,--cref  bin-msp430/blink.o   -o bin-msp430/blink

(I was shocked to see that Energia doesn't pass -fno-exceptions, but I
myself don't pass -fno-rtti, that needs to be fixed).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Paul Sokolovsky
Hello,

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 23:00:43 -0400
Peter Johansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > C++ as a language works really well with mspgcc.
> > C++ stdlib is different story.
>
> The vast majority of MSP430s are rather limited in capabilities and
> this is borne out in even in the C library. Outside of the
> micro-controller realm, many people use C++ (effectively) for the
> library support, and that is one thing you won't get for any small
> micro.

These are tales from previous century. There were dispelled many
times (e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/812717/is-there-any-reason-to-use-c-instead-of-c-for-embedded-development),
including by respectable organizations
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/TR18015.pdf).

Of course, that's party due to fact that when people hear "C++", they
picture 30-old C++ with "objects" which are by now a trivial thing, or
or poor implementation of exceptions, or something. When speaking about
C++, one rather should imagine Lisp with its macros and how they were
twisted into "templates" which gave birth to modern C++ and is its
central part.

> If you want to venture into the world of C++ for micros, you
> are going to be writing your own libraries.

Yes, that's how it has been for now, example was given. I also gave an
example that it changes and will be changing further (someone will drop
"-avr" from that stlport port, because there's of course nothing in
there which got to be AVR-specific in it).

> At least one person on this list has put the C++ capabilities of
> mspgcc to excellent use.  Perhaps he might be persuaded to share...

I humbly can propose my piece:
https://github.com/pfalcon/PeripheralTemplateLibrary is a humbly named
(template) lib with the aim of providing consistent programming
interface (up to the level of writing portable apps) for all possible
and impossible MCUs (8051 is in queue too, blocked by lack of
open-source C++ compiler for it), without sacrificing performance
(should be much better than any C lib with similar aims and not much
worse than Asm).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

Peter Bigot-4
I believe (without checking) that since mspgcc doesn't support C++
exceptions the default is -fno-exceptions.  I suspect rtti is also off by
default, but I don't have the vague reminiscence of having made sure of
that.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Paul Sokolovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:23:00 -0700
> Thomas Taranowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the comment Paul.  What are you using for your compiler
> > flags?  I'm having a couple issues with mine.
> >
> > I'm currently using the following:
> > -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DGCC_MSP430 -Wall -fno-exceptions
> > -fno-rtti -fno-enforce-eh-specs -nodefaultlibs
>
> Well, I'm using:
>
> msp430-g++ -I../include/   -mmcu=msp430g2553 -O1 -g -Wreturn-type
> -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -DHW_CONFIG=\"hw_config_msp430.hpp\"
> -fno-exceptions -c blink.cpp -o bin-msp430/blink.o
> msp430-gcc -mmcu=msp430g2553 -Wl,--gc-sections
> -Wl,-Map=bin-msp430/blink.map,--cref  bin-msp430/blink.o   -o
> bin-msp430/blink
>
> (I was shocked to see that Energia doesn't pass -fno-exceptions, but I
> myself don't pass -fno-rtti, that needs to be fixed).
>

> > This works well in with -O2 specified (release build), but fails with
> > memset undefined when running my -O0 debug build.  Presumably the
> > optimized version is using the built-in library.  Also, I can't seem
> > to get printf back in by adding -lgcc -lc.to the linker flags, as I
> > think these get ignored after specifying the -nodefaultlibs argument.
> > I really want something to just disable the libstdc++ include.
> > Thomas Taranowski | 425-442-9209 | skype: thomas.taranowski |
> > baringforge.com
> >

> --
> Best regards,
>  Paul                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: mspg++ and c++ includes

João Reis
Hi,

I'm new to MSP programming and ran into this very same issue. I found out
that compiling with

msp430-g++ ....cpp -c -o ....o
msp430-gcc ....o -o ....bin

works well. However, it does not optimize as much as I'd like it to.
Reading the gcc man page, it seem that it determines language based on the
file extension, so we can use msp430-gcc with a .cpp file and it will
recognize it as C++. Since I couldn't get -flto to work (but didn't bother
much), I compile with:

msp430-gcc -Os -Wall -g -mmcu=msp430g2553 -std=c++0x -fwhole-program
-I../../PeripheralTemplateLibrary/include/ ....cpp -o ....bin

(There are some flags in the mails above that I still have to check!)

MSPGCC ships with a standard C library that can be of use. In order to use
it this way, you must enclose your includes in an extern "C" block like:

extern "C" {
#include <stdlib.h>
}

and it works well.

Also, I strongly recommend using the Peripheral Template Library. It works
quite well, makes code an order of magnitude simpler and, if you read the
sources, it provides good examples and helps making sense of all those
register names :)

João Reis