msp430-gcc, msp430-ld, and PATHs

jcwren
   In writing several Makefiles, I come across a recurring problem.  I don't have (and don't want) "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/mspgcc/bin" in my path (using Cygwin here, in case that's not obvious).  However, msp430-gcc tries to exec msp430-ld and can't find it.

   The solution I'm looking for is to export PATH in a Makefile.  I've tried a couple variants.  PATH=$(TOOLPATH):$(PATH) then 'export PATH'.  For some reason, make can't find msp430-gcc (I played around with a similiar problem a few months ago, and localized it to a Cygwin problem either not exporting or not inheriting variables correctly)  I've tried 'export PATH=$(TOOLPATH):$(PATH)', but make generates a circular reference error.

   I'm not sure of the implications of this, but it seems that since msp430-gcc execs msp430-ld, it should attempt to exec it normally, then if it fails, try execing it with any explicit path information that msp430-gcc was invoked with.

   --jc

Re: msp430-gcc, msp430-ld, and PATHs

arnd-hendrik.mathias (Bugzilla)
Hi,

[hidden email] wrote:
>    In writing several Makefiles, I come across a recurring problem.  I don't have (and don't want) "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/mspgcc/bin" in my path (using Cygwin here, in case that's not obvious).  However, msp430-gcc tries to exec msp430-ld and can't find it.

To avoid adding the directory to the PATH you can do separate
compiling/linking:

CC   := /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/mspgcc/bin/msp430-gcc
LINK := /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/mspgcc/bin/msp430-ld

module.elf : module.o
        $(LINK) -o $@ $(LD_FLAGS) $* $(LIBS)

module.o : module.c module.h
        $(CC) -c -o $@ $(CC_FLAGS) $<

>    The solution I'm looking for is to export PATH in a Makefile.  I've tried a couple variants.  PATH=$(TOOLPATH):$(PATH) then 'export PATH'.  For some reason, make can't find msp430-gcc (I played around with a similiar problem a few months ago, and localized it to a Cygwin problem either not exporting or not inheriting variables correctly)  I've tried 'export PATH=$(TOOLPATH):$(PATH)', but make generates a circular reference error.

To avoid circular references try := instead of simple = (export PATH :=
$(TOOLPATH):$(PATH) ). Also make sure that the mspgcc toolchain and make
(!) is configured and built for cygwin and that very installation
location (/cygdrive/c/Prog....). However the compiler driver won't find
the linker as long as its location is not part of the PATH variable.

Regards

Arnd-Hendrik