[help about FET430UIF] kextload does not work

[help about FET430UIF] kextload does not work

loistava
I am a beginner of msp430f149 and I am using Mac OSX.  I started from launchpad and it was OK with mspgcc. But now, when I want to change to msp430f149, it doesn't work. So I searched the web and found the site :
http://msp430-gcc-users.1086195.n5.nabble.com/mspgcc-questions-re-OS-X-interaction-with-IAR-Workbench-td5436.html

I followed the instruction provided by Mark J. Blair and stuck in
     sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext
Terminal reminds

 /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) validation failure (plist/executable); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

As I don't know much about OS, I simply can't figure out the problem.

It's really hard for me and I wonder if anyone can help me. Thank you guys.

Re: [help about FET430UIF] kextload does not work

Jean-Marc Koller

On 14 juin 2013, at 11:43, loistava <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am a beginner of msp430f149 and I am using Mac OSX.  I started from
> launchpad and it was OK with mspgcc. But now, when I want to change to
> msp430f149, it doesn't work. So I searched the web and found the site :
> http://msp430-gcc-users.1086195.n5.nabble.com/mspgcc-questions-re-OS-X-interaction-with-IAR-Workbench-td5436.html
>
> I followed the instruction provided by Mark J. Blair and stuck in
>     sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext
> Terminal reminds
>
> /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext)
> validation failure (plist/executable); check the system/kernel logs for
> errors or try kextutil(8).

I think that kextload requires that the .kext folder is owned by the user root and the group wheel.
You should try a "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/TIVCPSerial.kext". If it still complains about validation, you may have to remove write permission to the "group" and "other".

(By checking the man-page for kextload:
"
An authentic kext's component files [...] are owned by root:wheel, with permissions non-writable by group and other.
")
If I remember correctly, this wasn't required on older versions of MacOS…

Jean-Marc