Quantcast

cant get mspdebug to talk to a FET430UIF with V3 firmware

cant get mspdebug to talk to a FET430UIF with V3 firmware

Guillaume Salagnac
Dear all,

I have two FET430UIF on my desk. One of these "accidentally" got loaded with a V3 firmware and I'm now trying to downgrade it to V2 using mspdebug (ubuntu 12.10, with mspdebug v0.22 compiled from source).

Following the "upgrade/downgrade procedure" from the FAQ, I downloaded the DLL source code from TI (slac460g.zip), patched it with Tamas Tevesz' patch, and then compiled libmsp430.so. Then I downloaded the UifV3Updater package from TI, and also obtained a V2 firmware image from my second UIF. Now I want to follow the steps of the "Downgrade procedure" itself, but I get a weird behaviour:

- flashing and running the "uifv3downgrader" often produces various error messages. Typically, they look like "Interface Communication error (error = 35)" or "No unused FET found". But if I run mspdebug as root, then sometimes it seems to work, and I get pretty much the same output as shown on the website: "Programming new firmware", "X percent done", etc.

- however, even then, I don't get the exact same behaviour as advertised. mspdebug doesn't hang, but exits with some more tilib error messages: "Could not set device Vcc", "device initialization failed".

- and it looks like the downgrade was not successfull: when I unplug/replug the FET, it still appears as tty/ACM0, the green led is still on, and "mspdebug --usb-list" still tells me the device is a "FET430UIF (V3 firmware)". And obviously I am not able to transfer my V2 image on it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Cheers,
-Guillaume Salagnac

Re: cant get mspdebug to talk to a FET430UIF with V3 firmware

Daniel Beer-3
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 06:50:49PM +0100, Guillaume Salagnac wrote:

> I have two FET430UIF on my desk. One of these "accidentally" got loaded with a V3 firmware and I'm now trying to downgrade it to V2 using mspdebug (ubuntu 12.10, with mspdebug v0.22 compiled from source).
>
> Following the "upgrade/downgrade procedure" from the FAQ, I downloaded the DLL source code from TI (slac460g.zip), patched it with Tamas Tevesz' patch, and then compiled libmsp430.so. Then I downloaded the UifV3Updater package from TI, and also obtained a V2 firmware image from my second UIF. Now I want to follow the steps of the "Downgrade procedure" itself, but I get a weird behaviour:
>
> - flashing and running the "uifv3downgrader" often produces various error messages. Typically, they look like "Interface Communication error (error = 35)" or "No unused FET found". But if I run mspdebug as root, then sometimes it seems to work, and I get pretty much the same output as shown on the website: "Programming new firmware", "X percent done", etc.
>
> - however, even then, I don't get the exact same behaviour as advertised. mspdebug doesn't hang, but exits with some more tilib error messages: "Could not set device Vcc", "device initialization failed".
>
> - and it looks like the downgrade was not successfull: when I unplug/replug the FET, it still appears as tty/ACM0, the green led is still on, and "mspdebug --usb-list" still tells me the device is a "FET430UIF (V3 firmware)". And obviously I am not able to transfer my V2 image on it.
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Hi Guillaume,

The downgrader image was produced when the first version of the TI
library was released. I'm not sure if it's still expected to work with
the current firmware and/or library.

Perhaps somebody on the list from TI can comment?

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B