Watchdog Reset

Ram Kumar-8
Hi,
   What happens to the contents of the RAM after a watchdog triggers a PUC
reset? Are the RAM contents re-initialized or are they left unchanged?
I am using a MSP430 F1611.

Thanks,
-Ram

Re: Watchdog Reset

Chris Liechti
Ram Kumar wrote:
>    What happens to the contents of the RAM after a watchdog triggers a PUC
> reset? Are the RAM contents re-initialized or are they left unchanged?

the hardware itself does nothing with the RAM on a PUC or other reset.
but the startup code linked by gcc does initialize the RAM: it copies
the init values to the .data section and zeros the .bss section.

if you want to have a variable that survives a reset, put it in the
.noinit section. that one is not touched by the C startup code.

chris