RedHat toolchain -- is it ready?

Lev Serebryakov-2
Hello, mspgcc-users.

 I'm asking as msp430-gcc FreeBSD porter/maintainer.

 Should I migrate FreeBSD packages to new RedHat toolchain? If "yes," are
 here clean instructions (like ones at
 https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded) to build full toolchain, with libc
 (which? newlib-nano? with which settings?) and gdb?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <[hidden email]>

Re: RedHat toolchain -- is it ready?

Aljaž Srebrnič
As the msp430* maintainer on MacPorts, I’d like to know that, too!

On 27 gennaio 2014 at 10:26:49, Lev Serebryakov ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hello, mspgcc-users.

I'm asking as msp430-gcc FreeBSD porter/maintainer.

Should I migrate FreeBSD packages to new RedHat toolchain? If "yes," are
here clean instructions (like ones at
https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded) to build full toolchain, with libc
(which? newlib-nano? with which settings?) and gdb?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <[hidden email]>

Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey

Re: RedHat toolchain -- is it ready?

Luca Bruno-7
Aljaž 'g5pw' Srebrnič <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should I migrate FreeBSD packages to new RedHat toolchain?

FWIW, I'm currently holding my breath on the new toolchain for
Debian/Ubuntu/etc and don't plan to upload it right now.

In particular I prefer to wait until a proper gcc-4.9 release.
Also, as shown on this list already, I'm still unconvinced that newlib
is a wise default choice for smaller chips; but somebody will surely
prove me wrong.

> If "yes," are here clean instructions (like ones at
> https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded) to build full toolchain, with
> libc (which? newlib-nano? with which settings?) and gdb?

You may like to follow
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mspgcc/index.php?title=Install:redhat
for some guidance.
All upstream projects (except gcc IIRC) have msp430 support in their
latest releases, so you may just use the tarballs.
Also, headers and maps are now provided directly from TI, go grab them
there.

Cheers, Luca

--
  .''`.  |               ~<[ Luca BRUNO ~ (kaeso) ]>~
 : :'  : | Email: lucab (AT) debian.org ~ Debian Developer

Re: RedHat toolchain -- is it ready?

Lev Serebryakov-2
Hello, Luca.
You wrote 27 января 2014 г., 14:01:45:

LB> You may like to follow
LB> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mspgcc/index.php?title=Install:redhat
LB> for some guidance.
  Comparing to "gcc-arm-embeeded" it looks strange: no --sysroot, no many
 other options... Looks like I need some experimenting. And, yes, waiting
 for gcc 4.9-release.

LB> All upstream projects (except gcc IIRC) have msp430 support in their
LB> latest releases, so you may just use the tarballs.
LB> Also, headers and maps are now provided directly from TI, go grab them
LB> there.
  I see!

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <[hidden email]>