Problem debugging.....

nimish hirekodi
We are trying to work with MSP430GCC compiler. The compiler when installed compiled and linked properly. After that stage we are facing the following problems.

1. The debugger (msp430gdb) does not establish communication with the target. We are using JTAG and communicating via a parallel port.

2. We are using sqrt() in one of the project .Even after including math.h it displays the message – undefined function.

3. How do we declare data to be placed in the information memory? When using Quadravox compiler we use _INFOMEM.

OS is Windows 98. Can you help?

Regards,
Nimish
Century Controls
28/2, 2nd Main Road, Sheshadripuram
Bangalore, Karnataka 560020
INDIA.
Phones: +918023343428,+918023340391
Fax:+918023349696

Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages
Only in Yahoo! Mail: http://in.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Problem debugging.....

Rolf Freitag

Hi,

> We are trying to work with MSP430GCC compiler. The compiler when installed compiled and linked properly. After that stage we are facing the following problems.   1. The debugger (msp430gdb) does not establish
> communication with the target. We are using JTAG and communicating via a parallel port.

You have to start gdbproxy which connects to the target. Then you can connect to gdbproxy.
Check the output of gdbproxy.

>   2. We are using sqrt() in one of the project .Even after including math.h it displays the message – undefined function.

You must use the compiler option -lm.

>  3. How do we declare data to be placed in the information memory? When using Quadravox compiler we use _INFOMEM.   OS is Windows 98. Can you help?   Regards,

It's described in the Manual.
And MS-Win2000/XP or Linux is better than MS-Win98.

Regards,

Rolf

Re: Problem debugging.....

nimish hirekodi
Sir,

Still we have the problem of linking library MATH rotines as  mentioned in our earlier mail.
As it was suggested by Mr.Rolf,we tried using -lm option and it did not help.

Can we get some help to solve the problem of not being able to link the MATH routines.

Regards
Nimish
  [hidden email] wrote:

Hi,

> We are trying to work with MSP430GCC compiler. The compiler when installed compiled and linked properly. After that stage we are facing the following problems. 1. The debugger (msp430gdb) does not establish
> communication with the target. We are using JTAG and communicating via a parallel port.

You have to start gdbproxy which connects to the target. Then you can connect to gdbproxy.
Check the output of gdbproxy.

> 2. We are using sqrt() in one of the project .Even after including math.h it displays the message – undefined function.

You must use the compiler option -lm.

> 3. How do we declare data to be placed in the information memory? When using Quadravox compiler we use _INFOMEM. OS is Windows 98. Can you help? Regards,

It's described in the Manual.
And MS-Win2000/XP or Linux is better than MS-Win98.

Regards,

Rolf

Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages
Only in Yahoo! Mail: http://in.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Problem debugging.....

Garst R. Reese
The -lm MUST be your last option.
And you may have to update from CVS.

nimish hirekodi wrote:

> Sir,
>
> Still we have the problem of linking library MATH rotines as
> mentioned in our earlier mail.
> As it was suggested by Mr.Rolf,we tried using -lm option and it did
> not help.

Re: Problem debugging.....

Rolf Freitag

yes, because of the static linking it's necessary to use -lm and other options for other libraries
as the last option(s).
Example:

msp430-gcc -Os -mmcu=msp430x149 -o test2.elf test2.c -lm

You can also use the name of the lib(s):

msp430-gcc -Os -mmcu=msp430x149 -o test2.elf test2.c /usr/local/msp430/msp430/lib/libm.a

That should be put into the FAQs and the manual because it's an often occurring problem because
that's an unexpected behavior and the linking is complicated because for some libs like libc
it's not necessary and the linking is not specified in ANSI-C.

Regards,

Rolf

[hidden email] schrieb am 04.07.05 17:53:32:

> The -lm MUST be your last option.
> And you may have to update from CVS.
>
> nimish hirekodi wrote:
>
> > Sir,
> >
> > Still we have the problem of linking library MATH rotines as
> > mentioned in our earlier mail.
> > As it was suggested by Mr.Rolf,we tried using -lm option and it did
> > not help.

Re: Problem debugging.....

Rolf Freitag

> 3. How do we declare data to be placed in the information memory? When using Quadravox compiler we use _INFOMEM.

i found it somewhere in the documentation.
I'm using:

// put following code into the constant values segment INFO
#ifdef MSPGCC
volatile unsigned char __attribute__ ((section ("infomem"))) PulseHighLimit = 199;      // High pulse limit
#endif
#ifdef IAR
#   pragma memory=constseg(INFO)        // put following code into the constant values segment INFO
volatile unsigned char PulseHighLimit = 199;    // High pulse limit
#   pragma memory = default     // end part (put following code into the constant values segment INFO)
#endif

Regards,

Rolf