Packaging for msp430-elf-*

Aljaž Srebrnič
Hello everyone!
i’m the maintainer for the msp430 suite on MacPorts. Is msp430-elf-* shipped with gcc 4.9.0 ready to use? I see there are still some manual steps to do [1]. Is that resolved?

Also, why are you building msp430-elf-gcc in two steps, Peter? Can I build newlib first and then msp430-elf-gcc?

Thanks,
Aljaž

[1]: http://msp430-gcc-users.1086195.n5.nabble.com/msp430-elf-gcc-upcoming-release-tp7088.html
--
Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey

Re: Packaging for msp430-elf-*

DJ Delorie

> Also, why are you building msp430-elf-gcc in two steps, Peter? Can I
> build newlib first and then msp430-elf-gcc?

How do you build newlib without a C compiler?

Re: Packaging for msp430-elf-*

Aljaž Srebrnič
On 26/giu/2014, at 21:59, DJ Delorie <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Also, why are you building msp430-elf-gcc in two steps, Peter? Can I
>> build newlib first and then msp430-elf-gcc?
>
> How do you build newlib without a C compiler?

Ah, yes, sorry. What I meant was can msp430-elf-gcc be built without newlib? I wanted to create a separate package for newlib.

--
Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey

Re: Packaging for msp430-elf-*

DJ Delorie

> Ah, yes, sorry. What I meant was can msp430-elf-gcc be built without
> newlib? I wanted to create a separate package for newlib.

Typically, the gcc runtime (libgcc) needs to know what the "usual"
runtime will be, as some routines in libgcc may need to call C library
functions.  The usual way to build it is to do it in two steps so that
things like stdio.h et al are available to the libgcc build.

I haven't tried to build libgcc before newlib in a long time, but if
it works, either things have changed or you just haven't noticed the
problem yet ;-)

Re: Packaging for msp430-elf-*

Peter Bigot-4
My recommendation is to look at what MacPorts does for gcc-arm or some
other cross-compilation GNU toolchain that produces binutils, gcc,
gdb, and library/header packages, and replicate that using the msp430
target flags.  That would seem to be the best way to produce packages
that are compatible with what users will expect.

Peter

On 26/giu/2014, at 22:44, Peter Bigot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My recommendation is to look at what MacPorts does for gcc-arm or some
> other cross-compilation GNU toolchain that produces binutils, gcc,
> gdb, and library/header packages, and replicate that using the msp430
> target flags.  That would seem to be the best way to produce packages
> that are compatible with what users will expect.

Thanks. I see that arm-elf-gcc includes newlib in the compiler package. I’m able to build binutils just fine, unfortunately gcc has some errors with clang (stray ‘-static-libgcc’ options that are not supported by clang).

Is msp430 support present in the latest gdb, too?

--
Aljaž Srebrnič a.k.a g5pw
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey

Re: Packaging for msp430-elf-*

DJ Delorie

> Thanks. I see that arm-elf-gcc includes newlib in the compiler
> package. I’m able to build binutils just fine, unfortunately gcc has
> some errors with clang (stray ‘-static-libgcc’ options that are not
> supported by clang).

While a native GCC build is likely to be built with alternate
compilers, most cross compilers assume they're being built with gcc
itself.  I don't do anything gcc-specific myself, but the general
framework might be so.

> Is msp430 support present in the latest gdb, too?

Yes.  If you want to debug the built-in simulator, use "target sim".
To debug hardware, you'll need a gdb-remote-compatible hardware
driver, such as the TI debug DLLs, and use "target remote".