New MSP430 stand-alone GCC version release available!

New MSP430 stand-alone GCC version release available!

Mitnacht, Thomas
Hello GCC-enthusiasts,
We just posted a new stand-alone & open source release on the external web: RH GCC v371!

This release is the stand-alone equivalent to the MSP430 GCC support in CCSv6 App Center and includes all binaries, the source code, and MSP430 device specific support files required.

What's new in this release:

New Device Support:

  *   MSP430FG6626
  *   MSP430FR6989 Family
  *   MSP430FR4133 Family
  *   MSP430F67621
  *   MSP430F67641
  *   MSP430F6779A Family

New Features:

  *   Support for hardware multiplier (with new -hwmult command line option)
  *   Added -mN, -mn, -mY, -my command line options for handling automatic insertion of NOP instructions while changing interrupts
  *   New -mcpu command line option for selecting microcontroller architectures

In addition the linker scripts have been aligned (single file per device) and plenty of bugs have been addressed.

This as well as previous releases are available thru the MSP430 GCC product folder<http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-gcc-opensource>.
Thanks,
Thomas Mitnacht
________________________________
MSP430 Development Tools Manager • Ultra-Low Power MCUs
Texas Instruments • Freising • +49 8161 80 3002

Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH, Haggertystr. 1, D-85356 Freising. Amtsgericht München HRB 40960. Geschäftsführer: Dr. Wolfram Tietscher. Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Andreas Schwaiger

Re: New MSP430 stand-alone GCC version release available!

Hans Henry von Tresckow
On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM, Mitnacht, Thomas <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello GCC-enthusiasts,
> We just posted a new stand-alone & open source release on the external
> web: RH GCC v371!
>
> This release is the stand-alone equivalent to the MSP430 GCC support in
> CCSv6 App Center and includes all binaries, the source code, and MSP430
> device specific support files required.
>
> What's new in this release:
>
> New Device Support:
>
>   *   MSP430FG6626
>   *   MSP430FR6989 Family
>   *   MSP430FR4133 Family
>   *   MSP430F67621
>   *   MSP430F67641
>   *   MSP430F6779A Family
>
> New Features:
>
>   *   Support for hardware multiplier (with new -hwmult command line
> option)
>   *   Added -mN, -mn, -mY, -my command line options for handling automatic
> insertion of NOP instructions while changing interrupts
>   *   New -mcpu command line option for selecting microcontroller
> architectures
>
> In addition the linker scripts have been aligned (single file per device)
> and plenty of bugs have been addressed.
>
> This as well as previous releases are available thru the MSP430 GCC
> product folder<http://www.ti.com/tool/msp430-gcc-opensource>.
> Thanks,
> Thomas Mitnacht
> ________________________________
> MSP430 Development Tools Manager • Ultra-Low Power MCUs
> Texas Instruments • Freising • +49 8161 80 3002
>

> Texas Instruments Deutschland GmbH, Haggertystr. 1, D-85356 Freising.
> Amtsgericht München HRB 40960. Geschäftsführer: Dr. Wolfram Tietscher.
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Andreas Schwaiger

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if there are any instructions on how
to set this up. For instance, where do the MSP headders need to be
extracted to?

Thanks

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)

new gcc command line options introduced (was: Re: New MSP430 stand-alone GCC version release available!)

Friedrich Lobenstock
Hello Mr. Mitnacht!

*From corrected!*

Mitnacht, Thomas wrote on 2014-05-23 09:13 MET:
> New Features:
>
>   *   Support for hardware multiplier (with new -hwmult command line option)
>   *   Added -mN, -mn, -mY, -my command line options for handling automatic insertion of NOP instructions while changing interrupts
>   *   New -mcpu command line option for selecting microcontroller architectures

I've searched for a documentation of those gcc options, but I couldn't
find any. Also the help in the latest CCS 6.x doesn't contain anything.
For example '-mlarge' is also only mentioned in a mailing list post
somewhere.

Can you possibly direct me to documentation describing those command
line options which are specific to MSP430?

Thanks in advance.

--
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock

Re: new gcc command line options introduced (was: Re: New MSP430 stand-alone GCC version release available!)

Mitnacht, Thomas
Hello Friedrich,
MSP-specific options are documented in the standard GCC documentation.
Please take a look here:
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.1/gcc/MSP430-Options.html#MSP430-Options

In addition ... it would make most sense to post your questions or feedback on the TI E2E compiler form.
http://e2e.ti.com/support/development_tools/compiler/

This way we get an better overview on gaps and challenges and you address your questions directly at the right people.
Hope this helps

Thanks,
Thomas Mitnacht