Quantcast

MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Hello everyone,

Apologies for a very long email but I am pulling my hair...

I have a MSP430F5528 based board that I want to program but have been
having trouble setting up FET430UIF on Mac OS X (10.7). I followed the
instructions here http://mspdebug.sourceforge.net/tilib.html to
upgrade the firmware to V3 and was able to complete the first two
steps for the upgrade using the latest mspdebug. However, I did not
have the libmsp430.so on my Mac, so could not execute the third step.
I then plugged it in a Windows machine with mspdebug 0.19 and copied
the MSP430.dll after installing MSP430 flasher tool from TI on this
machine but I keep getting device initialization failed. I have also
tried with Linux (compiled latest libmsp430.so) and Mac OS X (both
10.7 and 10.9) with libmsp430.so included with Energia.

Here are the error messages with on various operating systems,

** Windows 7 **

mspdebug.exe tilib -d COM10

MSPDebug version 0.19 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

MSP430_Initialize: COM10
Firmware version is 30400020
MSP430_VCC: 3000 mV
tilib: MSP430_VCC: Could not set device Vcc (error = 10)
tilib: device initialization failed

** Linux **

mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

MSP430_Initialize: /dev/ttyACM0
tilib: MSP430_Initialize: Could not find MSP-FET430UIF on specified
COM port (error = 57)
tilib: device initialization failed

but it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0

[18315.944116] usb 6-1: USB disconnect, device number 6
[18318.912200] usb 6-2: new full-speed USB device number 7 using uhci_hcd
[18319.123153] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its
own. It is not a modem.
[18319.123178] cdc_acm 6-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

and mspdebug can find it as well

mspdebug --usb-list

Devices on bus 008:
    008:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 007:
    007:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 006:
    006:006 2047:0010 FET430UIF (V3 firmware)
    006:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 005:
    005:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 004:
    004:003 045e:0039
    004:002 045e:0752
    004:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 003:
    003:001 1d6b:0001
Devices on bus 002:
    002:001 1d6b:0002
Devices on bus 001:
    001:001 1d6b:0002

sudo ./mspdebug -j uif -U 006:006

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

Searching for firmware for TI3410...
    - checking /usr/local/lib//mspdebug/ti_3410.fw.ihex
    - checking ti_3410.fw.ihex
Loaded 13765 byte firmware image (checksum = 0xb5)
Starting download...
ti3410: bulk write failed: No such file or directory
ti3410: firmware download failed

** Mac OS X **

mspdebug tilib -d /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
Chip info database from MSP430.dll v3.3.1.4 Copyright (C) 2013 TI, Inc.

MSP430_Initialize: /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131

It gets stuck here and does not proceed forward.

Is there something that I can do to fix or recover it? I am also
unable to downgrade to version 2 of firmware. Would really appreciate
any help and again sorry for the very long message. I wanted to
include everything that I have tried so far.

Thanks

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Daniel Beer-3
On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 06:49:17PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:

> mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0
>
> MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
> Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> MSP430_Initialize: /dev/ttyACM0
> tilib: MSP430_Initialize: Could not find MSP-FET430UIF on specified
> COM port (error = 57)
> tilib: device initialization failed
>
> but it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0

TI's library always prepends "/dev/" to the filename you give it. Try
with -d ttyACM0 instead.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reply. I tried your suggestion of dropping the
leading "/dev/" and this is what I get on Linux. I get the same error
on Windows 7 with a precompiled dll that ships with TI's flasher tool.
Any idea that what might be wrong? Or how to fix it? Thanks.

mspdebug tilib -d ttyACM0 --allow-fw-update

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

MSP430_Initialize: ttyACM0

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Daniel Beer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 06:49:17PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:
>> mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0
>>
>> MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
>> Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
>> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>>
>> MSP430_Initialize: /dev/ttyACM0
>> tilib: MSP430_Initialize: Could not find MSP-FET430UIF on specified
>> COM port (error = 57)
>> tilib: device initialization failed
>>
>> but it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0
>
> TI's library always prepends "/dev/" to the filename you give it. Try
> with -d ttyACM0 instead.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
> IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Valentin Sawadski-4
Hi,

It looks like you are able to talk to the FET but but the MCU. Have you
ever managed to get a successful JTAG connection to the device?

Btw. the Windows MSP430 Command Line flasher has some option to control VCC
(I think it was -z or something, but better read the docs:-) so maybe a
different setting could help getting a connection. I'm not sure if MSPDEBUG
has the same options though.

best regards,
Valentin

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Sarfraz Nawaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thank you for the reply. I tried your suggestion of dropping the
> leading "/dev/" and this is what I get on Linux. I get the same error
> on Windows 7 with a precompiled dll that ships with TI's flasher tool.
> Any idea that what might be wrong? Or how to fix it? Thanks.
>
> mspdebug tilib -d ttyACM0 --allow-fw-update
>
> MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
> Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> MSP430_Initialize: ttyACM0
> Firmware version is 30400020
> MSP430_VCC: 3000 mV
> tilib: MSP430_VCC: Could not set device Vcc (error = 10)
> tilib: device initialization failed
>

> On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Daniel Beer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 06:49:17PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:
> >> mspdebug tilib -d /dev/ttyACM0
> >>
> >> MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
> >> Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
> >> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
> NO
> >> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
> >>
> >> MSP430_Initialize: /dev/ttyACM0
> >> tilib: MSP430_Initialize: Could not find MSP-FET430UIF on specified
> >> COM port (error = 57)
> >> tilib: device initialization failed
> >>
> >> but it shows up as /dev/ttyACM0
> >
> > TI's library always prepends "/dev/" to the filename you give it. Try
> > with -d ttyACM0 instead.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
> > IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

> Subversion Kills Productivity. Get off Subversion & Make the Move to
> Perforce.
> With Perforce, you get hassle-free workflows. Merge that actually works.
> Faster operations. Version large binaries.  Built-in WAN optimization and
> the
> freedom to use Git, Perforce or both. Make the move to Perforce.
>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=122218951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Valentin Sawadski
Founder & Head of Embedded Software

Tel.: +49 - (0) 89 - 416 15 66 4 - 5
Fax: +49 - (0) 89 - 416 15 66 4 - 9
Mobil: +49 - (0) 162 - 460 163 4

facebook.com/tado<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Ftado&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzcXsXBuNZnoI7i7O22YPtGSE1LCVg>
 | twitter.com/tado<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ftado&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzeG-3hEUnpKEGOrasN1nAT7-QJXPA>

youtube.com/tado

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tado.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdlGA-41vPiKHbUfSyHgdnCwXCWcA>

www.tado.com<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tado.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdlGA-41vPiKHbUfSyHgdnCwXCWcA>|
tado° GmbH | Lindwurmstr. 76 | 80337 Munich | Germany

Managing Directors: Christian Deilmann | Johannes Schwarz | Leopold v.
Bismarck
Registered with the Commercial Register Munich as HRB 194769 B | VAT-No: DE
280012558

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Hi Valentin,

No I have not been able to make a JTAG connection before. I tried
downgrading to version 2 of the firmware but I get the following
error. So I suspect that there is something not right with the FET?

./mspdebug tilib -d ttyACM0 --require-fw-update Uifv3Downgrader.txt

MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

MSP430_Initialize: ttyACM0
Updating firmware using Uifv3Downgrader.txt
Starting firmware update (this may take some time)...
tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: Hardware State is unknown (error = 77)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 01:59:35PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:

> No I have not been able to make a JTAG connection before. I tried
> downgrading to version 2 of the firmware but I get the following
> error. So I suspect that there is something not right with the FET?
>
> ./mspdebug tilib -d ttyACM0 --require-fw-update Uifv3Downgrader.txt
>
> MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
> Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>
> MSP430_Initialize: ttyACM0
> Updating firmware using Uifv3Downgrader.txt
> Starting firmware update (this may take some time)...
> tilib: MSP430_FET_FwUpdate: Hardware State is unknown (error = 77)
> tilib: device initialization failed

Hi Sarfraz,

I wouldn't recommend downgrading the firmware if you have the library
working. I think the problem is likely a wiring issue on your board.

There is a pin used by the FET to sense the supply voltage -- is this
connected ok?

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Hello Daniel,

It is an evaluation board that is powered by a small Lithium polymer
battery with a 3V regulator. I have checked that pin number 4 of the
14-pin JTAG connector is at 3V with the FET cable connected to the
board but I still get the same error. Any ideas where I should look
next please? Thanks.

mspdebug tilib -d ttyACM0

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 11:11:58AM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:
> It is an evaluation board that is powered by a small Lithium polymer
> battery with a 3V regulator. I have checked that pin number 4 of the
> 14-pin JTAG connector is at 3V with the FET cable connected to the
> board but I still get the same error. Any ideas where I should look
> next please? Thanks.

Hi Sarfraz,

Have you tried debugging with the board powered by the FET, rather than
the battery?

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Hi Daniel,

I thought about it but the board probably requires more than the 60mA
that FET can source, so I decided against it. Do you know if there is
protection available on FET against larger source currents?

Thanks

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:29:13PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:
> I thought about it but the board probably requires more than the 60mA
> that FET can source, so I decided against it. Do you know if there is
> protection available on FET against larger source currents?

Hi Sarfraz,

Not sure about that, but I haven't broken mine yet :-). There is
software regulation of the power source at least. I'd guess that it'd be
safe.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Valentin Sawadski-4
Hi Safraz,

I use the MSP-FET430UIF here and it has as resetable fuse (which I happen
to blow every once in a while) :-)
By resetable I mean that once the FET shuts down, just quickly unplug it
from USB and try again.

Best,
Valentin

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Sarfraz Nawaz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I thought about it but the board probably requires more than the 60mA
> that FET can source, so I decided against it. Do you know if there is
> protection available on FET against larger source currents?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Daniel Beer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 11:11:58AM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:
> >> It is an evaluation board that is powered by a small Lithium polymer
> >> battery with a 3V regulator. I have checked that pin number 4 of the
> >> 14-pin JTAG connector is at 3V with the FET cable connected to the
> >> board but I still get the same error. Any ideas where I should look
> >> next please? Thanks.
> >
> > Hi Sarfraz,
> >
> > Have you tried debugging with the board powered by the FET, rather than
> > the battery?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
> > IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

> Subversion Kills Productivity. Get off Subversion & Make the Move to
> Perforce.
> With Perforce, you get hassle-free workflows. Merge that actually works.
> Faster operations. Version large binaries.  Built-in WAN optimization and
> the
> freedom to use Git, Perforce or both. Make the move to Perforce.
>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=122218951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Valentin Sawadski
Founder & Embedded Software

Tel.: +49 - (0) 89 - 416 15 66 4 - 5
Fax: +49 - (0) 89 - 416 15 66 4 - 9
Mobil: +49 - (0) 162 - 460 163 4

facebook.com/tado<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Ftado&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzcXsXBuNZnoI7i7O22YPtGSE1LCVg>
 | twitter.com/tado<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Ftado&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzeG-3hEUnpKEGOrasN1nAT7-QJXPA>

youtube.com/tado

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tado.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdlGA-41vPiKHbUfSyHgdnCwXCWcA>

www.tado.com<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tado.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdlGA-41vPiKHbUfSyHgdnCwXCWcA>|
tado° GmbH | Lindwurmstr. 76 | 80337 Munich | Germany

Managing Directors: Christian Deilmann | Johannes Schwarz | Leopold v.
Bismarck
Registered with the Commercial Register Munich as HRB 194769 B | VAT-No: DE
280012558

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Thanks Valentin for the encouragement :)

This is what I tried today. I shorted out pin number 2 and 4 of the
14-pin JTAG header on the board with a small piece of wire soldered
underneath, plugged in the FET and tried both mspdebug and
MSP430Flasher from TI but still no joy. I still get the same error on
both "Could not set device Vcc" :(

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Valentin Sawadski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Safraz,
>
> I use the MSP-FET430UIF here and it has as resetable fuse (which I happen to
> blow every once in a while) :-)
> By resetable I mean that once the FET shuts down, just quickly unplug it
> from USB and try again.
>
> Best,
> Valentin
>

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Sarfraz Nawaz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I thought about it but the board probably requires more than the 60mA
>> that FET can source, so I decided against it. Do you know if there is
>> protection available on FET against larger source currents?
>>
>> Thanks

>> > Hi Sarfraz,
>> >
>> > Have you tried debugging with the board powered by the FET, rather than
>> > the battery?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Daniel
>> >
>> > --
>> > Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
>> > IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

>> Subversion Kills Productivity. Get off Subversion & Make the Move to
>> Perforce.
>> With Perforce, you get hassle-free workflows. Merge that actually works.
>> Faster operations. Version large binaries.  Built-in WAN optimization and
>> the
>> freedom to use Git, Perforce or both. Make the move to Perforce.
>>
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=122218951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

> Valentin Sawadski
> Founder & Embedded Software
>

> Tel.: +49 - (0) 89 - 416 15 66 4 - 5
> Fax: +49 - (0) 89 - 416 15 66 4 - 9
> Mobil: +49 - (0) 162 - 460 163 4
>

> facebook.com/tado | twitter.com/tado | youtube.com/tado
>
> www.tado.com | tado° GmbH | Lindwurmstr. 76 | 80337 Munich | Germany
>
> Managing Directors: Christian Deilmann | Johannes Schwarz | Leopold v.
> Bismarck
>
> Registered with the Commercial Register Munich as HRB 194769 B | VAT-No: DE
> 280012558

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
I have finally managed to get the FET talking to my board! I
downgraded the FET to V2 and then upgraded it again to V3 using TI's
MSPFlasher. Now I can make a JTAG connection to the board using both
MSPFlasher and mspdebug.

I have one more query related to this. My board comes pre-programmed
with software from the vendor and is functioning properly. Now before
I start playing with it, I want to read out an image that I can use to
restore the board to its working state if I mess up. Looking at the
memory map of MSP430F5528 in the data sheet, the flash memory starts
at 0x4400. So doing a "hexout 0x4400 0xbbff defaultimage.hex" on
mspdebug prompt will give me a restorable image? Or do I have to do
something else to achieve this?

Thanks

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 10:29:26PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:

> I have finally managed to get the FET talking to my board! I
> downgraded the FET to V2 and then upgraded it again to V3 using TI's
> MSPFlasher. Now I can make a JTAG connection to the board using both
> MSPFlasher and mspdebug.
>
> I have one more query related to this. My board comes pre-programmed
> with software from the vendor and is functioning properly. Now before
> I start playing with it, I want to read out an image that I can use to
> restore the board to its working state if I mess up. Looking at the
> memory map of MSP430F5528 in the data sheet, the flash memory starts
> at 0x4400. So doing a "hexout 0x4400 0xbbff defaultimage.hex" on
> mspdebug prompt will give me a restorable image? Or do I have to do
> something else to achieve this?

Hi Sarfraz,

The second argument to hexout is the size of the region, rather than the
ending address.

It'd be best to grab one image for each contiguous flash region (main
and interrupt vector table, if there's a gap between them). You can trim
the HEX header and footer and splice them together if you want to be
able to restore in one step.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B

Re: MSP-FET430UIF and mspdebug

Sarfraz Nawaz
Hi Daniel,

Looking at the data sheet of MSP430F5528, this is what I see in the
memory organisation map,

Interrupt vector table 0xffff to 0xff80 (128 bytes)
Main code memory 0x243ff to 0x4400 (131072 bytes or 128 Kb)

So using the following two will give me enough information to restore
the firmware?

"hexout 0xff80 128 invtable.hex"

"hexout 0x4400 131072 main.hex"

How can I restore the firmware with these two hex files?

I am just curious that why do I have to save the interrupt vector
table? MSPFlasher only gives the option of reading out the main, bsl,
info and ram but no interrupt vector table. I can save it using
mspdebug but was just curious.

Cheers

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:40:07PM +0000, Sarfraz Nawaz wrote:

> Looking at the data sheet of MSP430F5528, this is what I see in the
> memory organisation map,
>
> Interrupt vector table 0xffff to 0xff80 (128 bytes)
> Main code memory 0x243ff to 0x4400 (131072 bytes or 128 Kb)
>
> So using the following two will give me enough information to restore
> the firmware?
>
> "hexout 0xff80 128 invtable.hex"
>
> "hexout 0x4400 131072 main.hex"
>
> How can I restore the firmware with these two hex files?
>
> I am just curious that why do I have to save the interrupt vector
> table? MSPFlasher only gives the option of reading out the main, bsl,
> info and ram but no interrupt vector table. I can save it using
> mspdebug but was just curious.

Hi Sarfraz,

In this case, the interrupt vector table is a subset of the main flash,
so you only need one hexout command:

    hexout 0x4400 131072 main.hex

You can restore with:

    prog main.hex