Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Leonardo Martinez
Hi,

How are you?
It's me again.

Could you help me in order to know how to install mspgcc on Windows Xp?

I have downloaded this file:
mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip/download>

But, i don't know how to install. It doesn't have any "setup" file...

Are there any documentation about it?

By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i could compile something
with it but I don't know how....

Thanks.

--
Leonardo Martínez
Hardware Developer

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Miloslav Semler-2
its only compiler. if you want some ide, you may try this one:
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html But it will need a little
playing with configuration to make it working with mspgcc. I used this
IDE few years ago for coding win32 executables and i know that worked
well. Today I am using unix userland (vim, make, mspgcc) so maybe
situation is different.

> Hi,
>
> How are you?
> It's me again.
>
> Could you help me in order to know how to install mspgcc on Windows Xp?
>
> I have downloaded this file:
> mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip/download>
>
> But, i don't know how to install. It doesn't have any "setup" file...
>
> Are there any documentation about it?
>
> By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i could compile something
> with it but I don't know how....
>

> Thanks.

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Leonardo Martinez
Yes, i know that.

What i want is to create a c# app where the user insert some parameters,
then touch a button and internally the .c file is modified, the code is
compiled and the program is loaded...
So, i need to compile/load program first in DOS to then translate to c#...

I suppose that just by clicking msp430-gcc in the zip file (uncompressed) I
installed the gcc...

Is that right?

What should i do to program my msp430? I know it is with the gdb but i
don't how... I typed msp430-gdb in cmd but it doesn't recognize it...

Thanks Miroslav and Przemek!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Miloslav Semler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> its only compiler. if you want some ide, you may try this one:
> http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/**devcpp.html<http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html>But it will need a little playing with configuration to make it working
> with mspgcc. I used this IDE few years ago for coding win32 executables and
> i know that worked well. Today I am using unix userland (vim, make, mspgcc)
> so maybe situation is different.
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How are you?
>> It's me again.
>>
>> Could you help me in order to know how to install mspgcc on Windows Xp?
>>
>> I have downloaded this file:
>> mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip<**http://sourceforge.net/**
>> projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/**mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-**
>> p20120911.zip/download<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip/download>
>> >

>> But, i don't know how to install. It doesn't have any "setup" file...
>>
>> Are there any documentation about it?
>>
>> By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i could compile
>> something
>> with it but I don't know how....
>>

>> Thanks.

>> ------------------
>> LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free Trial
>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support
>> Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add services
>> Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_**12329d2d<http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d>

Leonardo Martínez
Hardware Developer
www.otoharmonics.com

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Matthias Hartmann-3
There is no special installation neccessary.
Just uncompress the zip to a directory you like and add <directory
extracted to>\bin to the path.
Check the path for directories where other versions of mspgcc reside and
remove them, because mixing up different versions may give strange
behaviour.

best

Matthias
Am 04.12.2012 17:38, schrieb Miloslav Semler:

> its only compiler. if you want some ide, you may try this one:
> http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html But it will need a little
> playing with configuration to make it working with mspgcc. I used this
> IDE few years ago for coding win32 executables and i know that worked
> well. Today I am using unix userland (vim, make, mspgcc) so maybe
> situation is different.
>> Hi,
>>
>> How are you?
>> It's me again.
>>
>> Could you help me in order to know how to install mspgcc on Windows Xp?
>>
>> I have downloaded this file:
>> mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip/download>
>>

>> But, i don't know how to install. It doesn't have any "setup" file...
>>
>> Are there any documentation about it?
>>
>> By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i could compile
>> something
>> with it but I don't know how....
>>

>> Thanks.

>> LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free Trial
>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support
>> Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add services
>> Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Miloslav Semler-2
important question is what programmer do you use. Anyway, for
programming mspdebug or msp430-jtag could be used. Please refer their
manual pages. I use msp430-jtag as i have a parallel port programmer.

> Yes, i know that.
>
> What i want is to create a c# app where the user insert some
> parameters, then touch a button and internally the .c file is
> modified, the code is compiled and the program is loaded...
> So, i need to compile/load program first in DOS to then translate to c#...
>
> I suppose that just by clicking msp430-gcc in the zip file
> (uncompressed) I installed the gcc...
>
> Is that right?
>
> What should i do to program my msp430? I know it is with the gdb but i
> don't how... I typed msp430-gdb in cmd but it doesn't recognize it...
>
> Thanks Miroslav and Przemek!
>

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Miloslav Semler <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     its only compiler. if you want some ide, you may try this one:
>     http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html But it will need a little
>     playing with configuration to make it working with mspgcc. I used
>     this IDE few years ago for coding win32 executables and i know
>     that worked well. Today I am using unix userland (vim, make,
>     mspgcc) so maybe situation is different.
>
>         Hi,
>
>         How are you?
>         It's me again.
>
>         Could you help me in order to know how to install mspgcc on
>         Windows Xp?
>
>         I have downloaded this file:
>         mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip/download>
>

>         But, i don't know how to install. It doesn't have any "setup"
>         file...
>
>         Are there any documentation about it?
>
>         By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i could
>         compile something
>         with it but I don't know how....
>

>         Thanks.

>         LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free
>         Trial
>         Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support
>         Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more
>         value-add services
>         Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>         http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

> Leonardo Martínez
> Hardware Developer
> www.otoharmonics.com <http://www.otoharmonics.com/>

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Leonardo Martinez
I am using msp-fet430UIF. What should i use for programming my msp430 with
this usb fet?

Is gdb deprecated?

--
Leonardo Martínez
Hardware Developer
www.otoharmonics.com

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Miloslav Semler-2
it could work... with correct parameters.

> [...]
>>>

>>>                 Thanks.
>>>

>>>                 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>                 LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for
>>>                 IT. Free Trial
>>>                 Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide
>>>                 instant support
>>>                 Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering
>>>                 more value-add services
>>>                 Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>>>                 http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

>>>             ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>             LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT.
>>>             Free Trial
>>>             Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide
>>>             instant support
>>>             Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more
>>>             value-add services
>>>             Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers

Ok,

I hope I could get it work...

Kind Regards.
Thanks!

--
Leonardo Martínez
Hardware Developer
www.otoharmonics.com

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Yama Ploskonka-2
Matthias,

How does he add it to the path? (specific wording, please, step by step
- It would seem that our friend does not know how to figure that)

AFAIK he has no other versions, he is just starting

On 12/04/2012 10:59 AM, Matthias Hartmann wrote:

> There is no special installation neccessary.
> Just uncompress the zip to a directory you like and add <directory
> extracted to>\bin to the path.
> Check the path for directories where other versions of mspgcc reside
> and remove them, because mixing up different versions may give strange
> behaviour.
>
> best
>
> Matthias
> Am 04.12.2012 17:38, schrieb Miloslav Semler:
>> its only compiler. if you want some ide, you may try this one:
>> http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html But it will need a little
>> playing with configuration to make it working with mspgcc. I used
>> this IDE few years ago for coding win32 executables and i know that
>> worked well. Today I am using unix userland (vim, make, mspgcc) so
>> maybe situation is different.
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How are you?
>>> It's me again.
>>>
>>> Could you help me in order to know how to install mspgcc on Windows Xp?
>>>
>>> I have downloaded this file:
>>> mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/Windows/mingw32/mspgcc-20120406-p20120911.zip/download>
>>>

>>> But, i don't know how to install. It doesn't have any "setup" file...
>>>
>>> Are there any documentation about it?
>>>
>>> By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i could compile
>>> something
>>> with it but I don't know how....
>>>

>>> Thanks.

>>> LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free Trial
>>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support
>>> Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add
>>> services
>>> Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

>> LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT. Free Trial
>> Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide instant support
>> Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more value-add services
>> Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Yama Ploskonka-2
Miloslav, could you give a specific example of such parameters, please?
What should he look for for setting those parameters?

AFAIK Leonardo is using USB, not parallel

(Leonardo, please confirm - according to Miloslav, that would make a
difference)

On 12/04/2012 11:23 AM, Miloslav Semler wrote:

> it could work... with correct parameters.
>> So, i compile it with these instructions:
>>
>> *msp430-gcc -Os -mmcu=msp430G2433 -o test1.elf test1.c*
>>
>> *msp430-objcopy -O ihex test1.elf test1.hex***
>> And then, I program my msp430g2433 with the mspdebug, is that right?
>>
>> In the list I saw there wasn't specified the line of my mcu (msp430x2xx)
>> I decided to put that in that way and programmed with Elprotonic Lite
>> Fet-pro430 and, hopefully, it worked.
>>
>> Let´s see what happens with mspdebug.
>>
>>    *
>> *
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Miloslav Semler <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     for this programmer you should use mspdebug. gdb is not deprecated.
>>
>>>     I am using msp-fet430UIF. What should i use for programming my
>>>     msp430 with this usb fet?
>>>
>>>     Is gdb deprecated?
>>>

>>>     On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Miloslav Semler
>>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         important question is what programmer do you use. Anyway, for
>>>         programming mspdebug or msp430-jtag could be used. Please
>>>         refer their manual pages. I use msp430-jtag as i have a
>>>         parallel port programmer.

>>>     --     Leonardo Martínez
>>>     Hardware Developer
>>>     www.otoharmonics.com <http://www.otoharmonics.com/>
>>>

>> --
>> Leonardo Martínez
>> Hardware Developer
>> www.otoharmonics.com <http://www.otoharmonics.com/>

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

Re: Installing Mspgcc on Windows XP

Leonardo Martinez
Thanks Yama,

Yes, this is the first version of msp gcc i am using.
I put it in the path just going to environmental variables in system which
is located in control panel...

Yes, I am using usb JTAG...

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Yama Ploskonka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>                 Are there any documentation about it?
>
>                 By the way, I guess i can use it properly because i
>                 could compile something
>                 with it but I don't know how....
>

>                 Thanks.

>                 LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for
>                 IT. Free Trial
>                 Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide
>                 instant support
>                 Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering
>                 more value-add services
>                 Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers
>                 http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d

>             LogMeIn Rescue: Anywhere, Anytime Remote support for IT.
>             Free Trial
>             Remotely access PCs and mobile devices and provide
>             instant support
>             Improve your efficiency, and focus on delivering more
>             value-add services
>             Discover what IT Professionals Know. Rescue delivers

all is listed in manpage. there is several drivers for hardware
programmers/debugers (see section drivers here:
http://mspdebug.sourceforge.net/manual.html). You have to choose right
one. I am not familiar with mspdebug.