Cannot access memory at address 0xffff

garyr
If my question is not appropriate for this ng please suggest another.

A board I've built has a MSP430F1232 on it. I use an Olimex dongle to connect to
the JTAG. I'm using GCC 4.3.6. When I start msp430-gdbproxy the device is
recognized. When I run msp430-gdb and try to program the device I get the
following:

    (gdb) set remoteaddress 64
    (gdb) set remotetimeout 999999
    (gdb) target remote localhost:2000
    Remote debugging using localhost:2000
    Cannot access memory at address 0xffff
    (gdb) monitor reset
    Resetting target - all methods...done
    (gdb) erase
    Erasing all flash memory
    Erasing target flash - all...
    MSP430 error: Could not preserve/restore device memory (12)
    (gdb) monitor reset
    Resetting target - all methods...done
    (gdb) load pmsa.elf
    Load failed

There is nothing else on this board except the uP chip, voltage regulator (3.3
volts) and a few bypass capacitors. The MSP430 was purchased from Digi-Key a
couple of weeks ago. I've been very careful handling the chip, wearing a ground
strap.

A similar board I built several years ago which also has a MSP430F1232 on it
works correctly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Cannot access memory at address 0xffff

Daniel Beer-3
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 09:04:33AM -0700, garyr wrote:

> If my question is not appropriate for this ng please suggest another.
>
> A board I've built has a MSP430F1232 on it. I use an Olimex dongle to connect to
> the JTAG. I'm using GCC 4.3.6. When I start msp430-gdbproxy the device is
> recognized. When I run msp430-gdb and try to program the device I get the
> following:
>
>     (gdb) set remoteaddress 64
>     (gdb) set remotetimeout 999999
>     (gdb) target remote localhost:2000
>     Remote debugging using localhost:2000
>     Cannot access memory at address 0xffff

This is normal for an erased chip.

>     (gdb) monitor reset
>     Resetting target - all methods...done
>     (gdb) erase
>     Erasing all flash memory
>     Erasing target flash - all...
>     MSP430 error: Could not preserve/restore device memory (12)

I always use "monitor erase" from GDB. Not sure if "erase" has the same
effect, since that's a GDB command, whereas anything prefixed with
monitor is sent to the server (gdbproxy) without GDB's interference.

>     (gdb) monitor reset
>     Resetting target - all methods...done
>     (gdb) load pmsa.elf
>     Load failed
>
> There is nothing else on this board except the uP chip, voltage regulator (3.3
> volts) and a few bypass capacitors. The MSP430 was purchased from Digi-Key a
> couple of weeks ago. I've been very careful handling the chip, wearing a ground
> strap.
>
> A similar board I built several years ago which also has a MSP430F1232 on it
> works correctly.
>
> Any suggestions?

MSPDebug should support this chip (let me know if it doesn't work), and
would be easier to use if you just want to program, rather than debug. I
assume you're using an MSP430-JTAG-TINY? If you don't have any luck
getting gdbproxy working, try this:

    mspdebug olimex -j "prog pmsa.elf"

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Beer <[hidden email]>    www.dlbeer.co.nz
IRC: inittab (Freenode)    PGP key: 2048D/160A553B