Anyone using the Eclipse debug plug-in?

Bertrik Sikken-2
Hi,

Is anyone using the Eclipse debug plug-in from the following page?

I tried it and it seems to work at least partially, but some things appear
not to work, for example
* 'step return' just continues execution instead of returning to previous call level
(I assume this should behave like 'finish' in gdb)
* in some cases debugging hangs and I see continuous memory reads
in the debug window of gdb-proxy.

Is it supposed to work at all with the latest version of the mspgcc package?

Kind regards,

Bertrik Sikken
System Designer
Technolution B.V.
Telephone:  +31(0)182 59 40 00
Fax:  +31(0)182 53 97 36
E-mail:  [hidden email]
Visit us at:  www.technolution.nl
Mailing address:  P.O. Box 2013 - 2800 BD Gouda - The Netherlands
Address:  Zuidelijk Halfrond 1 - 2801 DD Gouda - The Netherlands
GPS:  N 52°.00'58,2" E 4°.41'05,2"

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability resulting from any electronic transmission.

Re: Anyone using the Eclipse debug plug-in?

Chris Liechti
Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> Is anyone using the Eclipse debug plug-in from the following page?
> http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/mspgcc/
>
> I tried it and it seems to work at least partially, but some things appear
> not to work, for example
> * 'step return' just continues execution instead of returning
> to previous call level (I assume this should behave like 'finish' in gdb)

try gdb 5.1.1 instead of 6.0
(i've build the latest windows installer with 5.1.1, previous ones with 6.0)

> * in some cases debugging hangs and I see continuous memory reads
> in the debug window of gdb-proxy.

single stepping or "stepping out" (which uses single stepping) is
factors slower than runing to a breakpoint. maybe that is a problem?
then its possible that the timer still generates interrupts at full
speed, and its mostly handling intterupts.

chris

RE: Anyone using the Eclipse debug plug-in?

Alan Scott-2
G'day,

We use the Eclipse plug-in and apart from a few minor niggles it seems to work fine.  Our biggest issues are more directly with GDB directly rather than Eclipse or the plug-in.  In fact, the tool combination is often very impressive.  Speaking as someone with limited experience with other tools for embedded environments, am impressed with how powerful the debug environment is.  For e.g. am still impressed that Eclipse/GDB can handle complex expressions such as "{struct TCC_type}$r12" or "{FPR[5]}&Rect", being able to see data structures being updated while stepping through the code is cool.

Having said that our issues with the Eclipse/GDB combo (as opposed with GDB directly are):
- When single stepping Eclipse often loses `scope' of the session being debugged.  Meaning that to step again requires using the mouse to select the process in the debug window before the step option is available.  This is a pain as usually it is desired to simply `F5' through a lot of code.
- When downloading a large program Eclipse often timesout before the program has downloaded (although the installation continues).  To start the program requires launching a new debug session (using a different re-start script for GDB).  This is almost certainly a setup problem, have yet to figure out the incantations needed to fix the problem though.

aLUNZ

Re: Anyone using the Eclipse debug plug-in?

Mario Palomo
Anyone know if this plug-in works with Eclipse for Linux?

Thanks,
Mario Palomo