ANN: updated win32 installer

Chris Liechti
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mspgcc/mspgcc-20050614.exe?download

changes since the last release:
- binutils 2.15.96 + 2xx patches
- fixes for msp430-downloader, new features for msp430-bsl
- reverted to gdb-5.1.1 due to problems with single stepping
   and macros on breakpoints in later (msp430-gdb) versions
- all the small fixes from CVS until today

chris

RE: ANN: updated win32 installer

Alan Scott-2
Cool, thanks for that

Have downloaded and installed the new version (after uninstalling the
previous version).  So far it works fine (after resolving the usual hassles
of Cygwin.dll - this is only a problem if Cygwin is already installed).

One comment/question about the new downloader.  Have noticed that it takes
significantly longer to download programs - about two to three times as long
- through GDB.  Is there something we can do to get quicker downloads?

The gdb.ini file that we are using is:
--------------------------------------
target remote localhost:3333
set remoteaddresssize 64
set remotetimeout 999999
mon erase
load debug\mathLibTst.elf
monitor reset
--------------------------------------

Thanks
aLUNZ

Alan Scott wrote:
> Have downloaded and installed the new version (after uninstalling the
> previous version).  So far it works fine (after resolving the usual hassles
> of Cygwin.dll - this is only a problem if Cygwin is already installed).

it should be possible to just uncheck the cygwin stuff in the installer
and use your installed cygwin. you may need to upgrade your cygwin to
the latest version tough.

> One comment/question about the new downloader.  Have noticed that it takes
> significantly longer to download programs - about two to three times as long
> - through GDB.  Is there something we can do to get quicker downloads?

the downloader just uses the default 256 bytes. it is significantly
faster when the entire available RAM is used.
i often download with a "download" target in my makefile, where i use
msp430-jtag with the --ramsize option. some of the examples have such an
entry in the makefile ("make download" mapped on "ctrl+1" in SciTE and
finished is the one button compile and download :-)

> The gdb.ini file that we are using is:
> --------------------------------------
> target remote localhost:3333
> set remoteaddresssize 64
> set remotetimeout 999999
> mon erase
> load debug\mathLibTst.elf
> monitor reset

see http://homepage.hispeed.ch/py430/mspgcc/gdb-target.ini
you can force gdb to use a larger and fixed packet size. that should
help a bit. an other solution is to download with msp430-jtag and then
just connect the debuger (no "load", just tell gdb about the sources it
should use)

chris

RE: ANN: updated win32 installer

Alan Scott-2
Chris,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Quickly tried msp430-jtag at the command line
to download a program (even without the -R command) and it is much, much
faster.  Even better, it looks like msp430-jtag co-exists with gdbproxy.
Just need to update the makefile and configure Eclipse to use the new Make
target and everything should Just WorkT.

Thanks again,
aLUNZ

Steve Underwood
Alan Scott wrote:

>Cool, thanks for that
>
>Have downloaded and installed the new version (after uninstalling the
>previous version).  So far it works fine (after resolving the usual hassles
>of Cygwin.dll - this is only a problem if Cygwin is already installed).

The installer should check for cygwin1.dll, and only install a copy if
it is needed. It used to perform that test OK, but I haven't checked it
for a long time.

>One comment/question about the new downloader.  Have noticed that it takes
>significantly longer to download programs - about two to three times as long
>- through GDB.  Is there something we can do to get quicker downloads?

Steve